56 Trending Digital Products to Sell Online
Digital products are digital assets or media that are sold online over and over again. Unlike physical products, digital product sales are unlimited. You don’t need to replenish stock or think about manufacturing and delivery.
Regardless of whether you want to create a side hustle with a passive income or begin a whole new digital product empire, there’s good reason to create digital products.
Here are our top 56 digital product ideas to help you add an income stream to your business.
Sell on the leading digital marketplace for entrepreneurs
With AppSumo, you don’t have to be a marketing pro to boost your sales and connect with excited new customers. Focus on building the best product you can. Let us be your engine for growth.
What are the benefits of selling digital products online?
Selling digital products is a win-win situation––you’ll engage current customers with more products and also attract new ones to your business.
Aside from that, here are our top 6 benefits for selling digital products:
- Passive income: Once you’ve got a well established digital product that meets customers’ needs, digital products can bring you a steady stream of passive income. However, you’ll still need to make updates and improvements to keep customers happy.
- Infinitely scalable: You’re not physically limited on how many products you can sell. You’ll just find that as you sell more products you’ll need to upgrade your website to handle more traffic.
- Low startup costs: There’s a low barrier to entry as you don’t need to invest in stock or manufacturing.
- Easier to manage: You don’t need to manage stock levels, inventory or delivery.
- Reach a global audience: Create products for any niche and audience and reach them on a broad global scale.
- Easy communication channel with customers: Because you’re selling online, customers can contact you more easily, which is good for improving customer trust and experience.
56 digital product ideas for your business to sell online
We’ve put together a list of 56 digital product ideas and divided them into different categories.
Every freelancer has their own unique story about how they got into freelancing, the advice they wish they’d known in the beginning, and how they manage their freelance business.
1. Paid communities: Freelancers working solo may get lonely and crave connection and networking opportunities. Provide a sense of community by providing online gated communities.
2. Ebooks: Write an honest ebook about how you got started as a freelancer, your struggles, successes, and actionable tips for those beginning.
3. Templates: From expense spreadsheets to quarterly goal trackers, there are plenty of different templates you could sell to time-strapped freelancers.
4. Courses: Make a certified course in your specialty whether that’s marketing, graphic design, or teaching English. Prolific blogger Ryan Robinson has a free course for people looking to build a profitable blog in just 7 days:
List your digital product on AppSumo for free and reach 1M+ customers.
Businesses and professionals short on design skills will love templates and other design pieces they can use to speed up their creative processes. Look for ways of repurposing your current designs into sellable digital products.
5. Fonts: Create unique downloadable fonts and sell them to your followers.
6. Wallpapers: Sell people your artwork as wallpapers formatted for smartphone and desktop screens.
7. Graphic designs: Create some unique graphic designs to sell. If potential clients like them, they may then choose you to be their graphic designer.
8. Logo designs: Make some customizable stock logos and sell them to your audience.
9. Business card designs: Make it easy for people to create ultra-sleek looking business cards with your templates.
10. Posters: Create some printable posters for customers to decorate their spaces with.
11. Comic templates: Make it easier for graphic novelists and comic artists to bring their designs to life.
12. Presentation templates: Sell unique presentation designs that help your followers stand out. Glorify sells unique editable templates for businesses to create personalized marketing visuals.
For business coaches
Use your digital products to attract potential clients to paid consulting sessions or to give loyal fans extra content and help.
13. Paid newsletters: Share your best business tips, career advice, guides to scaling a business, and videos via a paid newsletter subscription.
14. Video courses: Build a series of videos that cover different topics like sales tactics, building a solid work routine, and how to succeed after failure.
15. Live workshops: Interactive workshops are a great way of building engagement among your followers and converting them to one-on-one sessions. Hold sessions on different topics and invite followers to join them via a paid link.
16. Support groups: Entrepreneurs often face similar sticking points and like to speak about their journey with others in the same boat. Create paid support groups to help entrepreneurs not only learn from you but also from others.
17. Printable guides: Help entrepreneurs get organized and hit their goals with printable planners, worksheets, and diaries. Here’s an example of a printable checklist from coach Lisa Williams.
Learning to code is a hot topic right now but not many people know where to start and many others feel overwhelmed at the thought. Coders can sell their specialized knowledge in packaged digital products.
18. Video tutorials: It’s no secret that coding can be complex. Make it simple for your followers to get started with some beginner and intermediate coding tutorials.
19. Troubleshooting sessions: For those who have already started coding, provide live problem-solving sessions where they can ask questions and look for advice on how to fix recurrent coding issues.
20. Downloadable guides: For followers who prefer reading over watching, create written step-by-step guides that provide actionable tips and steps to follow. Here’s an ebook example from Bitbean:
Ready to sell your digital product? AppSumo is the number 1 digital marketplace for entrepreneurs.
For content creators/influencers
Content creators and influencers have the massive advantage of an accepting audience to whom they can sell digital products. With so many aspiring influencers out there, create digital products that help them achieve their goals.
21. Branding guides: Choosing and sticking to a strong and consistent branding image is challenging. Help aspiring influencers by providing example branding guidelines and actionable advice for defining their own brand.
22. Social media planners: Give followers downloadable planners so they can build consistent and accurate content calendars.
23. Strategy sessions: Provide paid strategy sessions with small groups of followers to help them create a successful social media strategy.
24. Story templates: Create some fun Story templates for followers to use.
25. Presets: Have some go-to filters that your followers love? Sell them as presets. Here are some Instagram Lightroom presets for pet owners wanting to edit images of their pets:
Whether you’re a lifestyle or crypto blogger, digital products are a great way of building a passive income on the side. They’re also an effective way of monetizing your content efforts since you already have an audience. Remember, your digital products need to provide more value than your free content, so make it special.
26. Downloadable ebooks and graphics: If you’re a lifestyle blogger, a chef, or makeup artist for example, create how-to downloadable books to teach your audience new skills.
27. Membership site: Create a site with exclusive written or video content that only subscribers can access. Offer monthly and yearly subscriptions with different access tiers.
28. Planners and organizers: Have a busy schedule? Show followers how you get everything done with downloadable planners and organizers. Share your daily routine, time blocking strategies, and any other elements of your daily routine.
29. Content calendars: Publishing high-quality content regularly is a key component of being a successful blogger, but can be hard to schedule and get right. Help aspiring bloggers by providing a realistic template. Here’s an example of some content calendar templates made for Google Sheets and Airtable.
Entrepreneurs, founders, and business owners often learn as they go. They usually have piles of insider knowledge and tips to share. Create a digital product and help others on the startup journey learn from your experience.
30. Goal setting diaries: Help your audience set and achieve their goals with journals and worksheets.
31. Workshops: Share your skills, experience, and knowledge with your audience through pre-recorded or live workshops.
32. Careers counseling content: Your unique journey may inspire and motivate others who are in earlier career stages. Create gated videos or written content with actionable tips and advice to help those starting out progress.
33. Pitch deck templates: Sell pitch deck templates to help people pitch their product or business idea.
34. Online membership communities: Set up a private Slack or Patreon community and offer members exclusive access to networking and training opportunities. Mind the Product is an international Slack community for close to 10,000 members:
Tap into a community of 1M+ entrepreneurs and sell your digital product on AppSumo.
Whether you specialize in engagements or food photography, there are piles of digital products you could build on the side.
35. Photoshop presets and filters: Give your audience a new look or feel for the website, branding or social media with some curated presets and filters.
36. Editing tutorials: Show your followers how they can achieve professional quality images with your Photoshop tips and tricks.
37. Stock photos: High-quality stock images are a great way of promoting your business to newsletter subscribers or social media followers. If they like what they see, they might convert to being a client! Stock Unlimited has a huge selection of over 1 million photos they sell on AppSumo:
Musicians have two main channels for selling digital products. You can target your fans who want to download and purchase your tracks. Alternatively, teach other musicians how to enhance their business or performances.
38. Sound effects: Give your followers some unique sound effects they can use in videos, music or other audio tracks.
39. Songs: Sell your songs online either as curated playlists or single tracks.
40. Ringtones: Create a catalog of unique ringtones that people can download.
41. Live performance masterclasses: Give your audience tips on how they can improve their own live performances and stage presence.
42. Instrumental tracks: Create a selection of instrumental tracks for followers to buy. Tunepond sells a library of royalty-free music for creators on AppSumo:
Again writers have two different audience categories they can sell their digital products to. You could build products geared towards other writers or create exclusive content relating to your blog or books.
43. Private networking group: Writing can get lonely, so help fellow writers connect with one another. Set up a private Facebook or Slack group where writers can join, network with editors, share their projects, and provide feedback.
44. Planning sheets: Lots of writers have great ideas but they’re not sure how to plan out a book or blog post. Build a downloadable planning sheet to help them map out and organize their ideas.
45. Prequels and sequels: If your book is popular and has an established fan base, you could share some extra sections of the story for people to buy.
46. Fiction and non-fiction ebooks: Short story collections, non-fiction reports, and other fiction books are great ways of generating passive income.
47. Writing guides: Sometimes it’s hard for writers to get started and put pen to paper. Create guides full of actionable tips and advice. Gary Provost wrote this downloadable ebook to provide proven professional techniques for writing with style and power:
As well as selling physical pieces like framed prints and canvases, artists can also sell digital versions of their art.
48. Coloring sheets: Coloring isn’t just for children—lots of people like to color for mindfulness and relaxation. Create printable coloring sheets for adults and children to print and color in at home.
49. Drawing video tutorials: Build a video series on how to draw. Create different videos for drawing different subjects like portraits, animals, landscapes, and still objects.
50. Clip art pictures: Convert your art into downloadable clip art and symbols that people can download and use on their websites, documents, and presentations.
51. 15-day email course: Inspire your audience to reach their full creative potential and enjoy the creative process in a 15-day email series.
52. Wall art: Sometimes giving away some of your art can encourage a loyal customer base. Fox and Hazel offer followers free wall art they can download:
Ready to start building? List your digital product with AppSumo.
Brands are increasingly using video content to captivate their audience. Capitalize on this and help them reach their goals with useful video digital products.
53. Videography tutorials: Show beginners and intermediate videographers the best filming techniques, recommended equipment, lighting tips, and angle recommendations.
54. Animation templates: Sell premade animation templates for brands or creators to use in their YouTube videos.
55. Stock videos: You may have time-lapse footage, weather videos, or clips of animals, or other hard-to-shoot videos that other videographers would love to use. You can sell them as packs or individual stock videos.
56. Presets: Sell video presets to give people’s videos the look and feel they want. These cinematic presets are made for multiple video editing programs like Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro.
Launch your digital product with AppSumo today
So there you have it—our top 56 ideas for digital products to start selling online today. Diversifying your business is always a good idea. And once they’re well set up, digital products can give you that additional passive income.
Remember to update your products and make regular improvements. That way your customer base will remain happy and continue to purchase your products and engage with your business.
Start by creating one or two of these products and see how you get on. Before you know it you’ll have an online library of digital products.
Ready to start building a digital product? List your digital products over on AppSumo.